THE LIFE OF TYMON OF ATHENS

Category: Kindle Store,Kindle eBooks,Literature & Fiction

THE LIFE OF TYMON OF ATHENS Details

Excerpt:Poet. Good day Sir.Pain. I am glad y'are well.Poet. I haue not seene you long, how goesthe World?Pain. It weares sir, as it growes.Poet. I that's well knowne:But what particular Rarity? What strange,Which manifold record not matches: seeMagicke of Bounty, all these spirits thy powerHath coniur'd to attend.I know the Merchant.Pain. I know them both: th' others a Ieweller.Mer. O 'tis a worthy Lord.Iew. Nay that's most fixt.Mer. A most incomparable man, breath'd as it were,To an vntyreable and continuate goodnesse:He passes.Iew. I haue a Iewell heere.

Reviews

Not really one of Shakespeare's better stories; it had potential, given that it's NOT a love story (my largest single objection to most of Shakespeare is that his concept of romantic love strikes me as not just mistaken, but downright pernicious, given that so many people use his concept as their model of what "love" is, and that has led to many, many emotional traumas through the centuries) but even without that difficulty to cause problems in this play, I found the plot somewhat lacking; imagine a story that begins somewhat like the movie "It's A Wonderful Life", starring Jimmy Stewart, in which the main character is a very generous man whose friends have all benefited tremendously from his liberality. Then he runs out of money, and his friends (unlike in the movie) all prove to be flatterers and false friends who do not stand by him. So he goes off and lives in the woods, wears rags, becomes a misanthrope thanks to the disappointment his faith in people suffered, and dies. The end. This is hardly an uplifting story; I realize that it's a tragedy, but it seemed to me that there could have been a LITTLE bit of uplifting turn in the plot before the hero was killed off. And what's more, there doesn't even seem to be a single memorable line in the whole play, which is all that saves SOME of Shakespeare's plots.

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel